Tuesday, July 15



HOME GROWN
lettuces, herbs and french radishes. I have France on my mind again lately, as I've been hearing from my two INSEAD friends: Janet's family is packing up to leave after their sabbatical and Sonia and her family are coming to town! Unfortunately I think they will visit just after the last of my radish crop, otherwise I would serve them:

Belgian Tartine

(recipe slightly adapted from Lynne's at La Tartine Gourmande)

A tartine is an open-faced sandwich, usually made with coarse country bread spread with fresh cheese and topped with fresh vegetables or herbs.

Use grainy, sturdy country-style bread. When buying the cheese, sample for a clean, creamy-yet-tangy fromage frais (French for fresh cheese). In the U.S. you may have to substitute thick sour cream or Greek Yogurt (full-fat version.) Here's how to make a tartine:

* 1 large slice whole-grain country bread, cut about 1/2-inch thick
* About 2 ounces Fromage Frais (substituting as necessary)
* 3 thin-sliced radishes
* Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

1. Spread the bread with the cheese. Fan radish slices over the cheese and sprinkle with coarse salt and a grind of black pepper as desired.

2. Serve the tartine on a large plate and eat American style with your fingers, or Belgian style with a knife and fork.

No comments: