Monday, January 28



ONLY RESTING
In my circle of friends and acquaintances within the last few days: a death, a birth and what seems like everything else in between. Has felt something like standing under a waterfall...exhilarating but alarming: being knocked about a bit by the relentless force.

And death shall be no more; neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore for the former things that have passed away.
Revelations 21:4

New beginnings for me as well: today I taught my first art class! I've pinch-hit for other people in the past; occasionally filling in when somebody took sick or had an emergency. I always enjoyed the student-teacher interaction, but never felt up to the responsibility of running my own class. But somehow, when I was invited to teach this semester I felt a little more ready to take it on and agreed. I called last week and asked about class enrollment and felt pretty relieved when I was told that I had six students signed up, as the minimum class number is five. Alright, whew! A nice small seminar size,I thought happily. But when I walked in this morning the class numbered fourteen! It might even be fifteen (which is the maximum) only one person didn't show up. I was a bit shocked for a moment, but quickly re-grouped mentally. Just like the waterfall analogy above, I can tell that teaching is going to be a bit of an adventure...both humbling and uplifting, as I find my feet. The students were wonderful though...no slackers...everyone painting flat out till the last possible moment allowed!

No comments: