Friday, May 21

FRIEND FRIDAY



I've been falling behind on my Friend Fridays! Too many friends doing amazing things these days!

First and foremost, I wanted to let everyone know that my husband (and friend) Paul Downs has begun writing for The New York Times! He is writing a feature called Staying Alive for the NYT's blog You're The Boss, aimed at small business owners. I am thrilled for him and so proud! (Extra thrill: I took the head shot they are using!) It's a fascinating group blog in general, but you can follow just Paul's writing, here. Way to go, honey!



My old college friend Susan Senator recently published her second book! The Autism Mom's Survival Guide (for Dads, too!): Creating a Balanced and Happy Life While Raising a Child with Autism This is a book of stories and great tips culled from Susan's own experience and that of many other "autism moms" she interviewed (including me!) on ways to keep themselves and their families happy and sane. It is so easy to let a child's special needs take over the family dynamics. Here is a zestily written guide on how NOT to let that happen! Or as Susan puts it, "allowing yourself to find your own joy even in the midst of great struggle." Tell it Susan! You can buy the book at various bookstores around the country or online here.



My friend Linda Lou Horn invited me to her current show but I could not attend the opening reception. I caught up with Linda, and her co-exhibitor Ellen Sall, yesterday. And so did a whole lot of people...for some reason a small horde decided to come see the show yesterday too and it was almost like a second opening reception (sans vin, alas! ;-) Fun, creative and amusing: this is one art show you can even bring the kids to without hearing complaints. Instead, guaranteed laughs and smiles as you view these amazing, ingenious creations wrought from junk and discards and imagination!

Tossed and Found
Recycled and Found Object Art by Ellen Sall and Linda Lou Horn
May 7 through June 6, 2010
St Asaph's Gallery
27 Conshohocken State Road
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
gallery hours: M-F 9 am to 3 pm or by appointment



Linda Lou sharing a tender moment with one of her sculpture beings!

No comments: