Wednesday, June 8



PEACE
This is our first home-grown rose of summer. Well, of course it is not yet officially summer, but this recent heat wave has moved everything along pretty quickly. My friend Helen M. gave me this Climbing Peace Rose last year. It languished in the spot where I planted it, despite soil amendments and black spot medicine. And so I meant to move it, but unfortunately that turned out to be one of those millions of little details I haven't yet found time for. Anyway, just the other day I caught an elusive whiff of a sweet honey fragrance and followed my nose to see: wowza, a big fat beautiful rose! The forlorn little bush had decided, after all, to bloom where it was planted. Another life lesson from the vegetable kingdom. Of course, it still has black spot!

No comments: