Wednesday, February 28



BASKET OF TOMATOES
My mother-in-law Darian (this is her set-up) is an artist at home and kitchen decor. Notice the one withered tomato? Makes me think of how quiltmakers in past centuries always made a deliberate mistake to keep their patterns from perfection. Trying to create something perfect was seen as hubris, an affront to the Supreme Maker. Of course, I always smile at a little at how the quiltmakers believed they were so near absolute perfection as to need the deliberate error: kind of a prideful idea in itself.

Well, we all have our little "conceits and self-deceits". I will just say..if you are looking at my paintings and notice various errors please know that they are NOT deliberate. I am so very far from any standard of perfection as to have no need for self-sabotage!

No comments: