Sunday, February 25


Float oil on canvas 11 x 14 inches

ART QUOTATIONS
Well, Studio Friday (I'm late as usual) has this as its theme, list one or more quotations on art that speak to you. This topic was almost too much for me as I am a life-long collector of quotations. Both computers in the house have word files for "Interesting Sayings" I come upon on-line, and I also keep a notebook for copying in those found in printed books. Actually, I've filled one notebook (started at age 20) and am well into my second. I hadn't really thought about how obsessive this must seem, till this minute! Live and learn.

Anyway, here is one art quotation from my collection:

"To any artist, worthy of the name, all in nature is beautiful, because his eyes, fearlessly accepting all exterior truth, read there, as in an open book, all the inner truth."
--Auguste Rodin, 1840-1917

I thought this went well with this painting. I've had a few comments from the peanut gallery along the lines of "awfully skinny legs on that kid!" but many more warm comments from parents of kids with physical disabilities who instantly recognize this for what it is: a physical therapy session. One perspicacious mom even pinpointed exactly where it was taking place "Is that the therapy pool at Children's Seashore House at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania?" she asked diffidently. Bingo!

No comments: